FAQ's and Tips

Getting to and From Victoria:

Q     Are there ways to transport a bike via public transportation?
A      Both buses and ferries can transport bikes.

Bus: bikes can be taken most places that BC Transit goes. Their routes extend from Victoria to Sidney, Brentwood Bay, Colwood and Sooke. BC Transit can be contacted as follows: ph (250) 382-6161 or Victoria_Busline@bctransit.com. Their website is www.bctransit.com.

Ferries: Except for the Victoria Harbour Ferries, all ferries, including B.C. Ferries, Washington StateFerries, and Blackball Ferries will take bicycles. They all charge a fee. This is usually less than $5 each way.

Q     What is the closest bike shop to the airport? (for boxing bikes and repairs secondary to damage while travelling)
A  See the list of bike shop locations that is attached. 

Legal Issues:

Q     Are there any legal requirements to riding a bike in B.C.?
A      Yes. Cyclists can be ticketed for not wearing helmets, for riding on the sidewalk, for not obeying traffic rules as per the motor vehicle act, and for not having both a headlight and tail light (in addition to reflectors) after dark. It is against the law to ride double. Cyclists who abide by the Motor Vehicle Act may be entitled to some compensation if they are in an accident where a vehicle was deemed by the Insurance Corporation of B.C. to be at fault. A license is not required.

Q     What can you tell me about crime in the area as it pertains to cyclists?
A      There is nothing atypical about cycling and crime in the Victoria area. Guidelines that apply elsewhere apply here. Keep the bike locked with a secure lock, and preferably in a well-lit and well-traveled area. 


Q     What is the closest accommodation to the airport?
Victoria Airport Travelodge
2280 Beacon Ave
Sidney, British Columbia V8L 1X1
Price Range: 55.00 - 155.00

Q     What is the closest accommodation to the ferry terminal at Swartz Bay?
A Cozy Guest Retreat B&B
2280 Amity Drive   656-8073
Lovat House Seaside B&B
9625 2nd Street    656-3188

Q  Camping?
A  Nearest camping is at McDonald Provincial Park - sites should be  reserved through BC Environment, http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/reserve/group.htm.

The Galloping Goose and other Trails:

Q     Is there anywhere to buy food along the Galloping Goose Trail?
A      Yes, many places. However, between Colwood and Sooke, eateries are limited, so in that area, one should take a lunch. The first eatery after Colwood is the Sizzling Fox at the next intersection of the highway and the trail after leaving Roche Cove.

Q     What condition are rural roads in for cyclists?
A      Road conditions vary. The Trans Canada Highway has a shoulder both ways the entire length?? A few roads are gravel, however, most roads are paved. Some roads do not have shoulders. Speed limits on these roads are 50 to 80 km/hr.

Q     Are there roads that cyclists are not allowed onto?
A      No.

Bicycle Clubs:

Q: Are there any cycling organizations?
A: Yes, some are listed below.

Cycling Associations:

Cycle Tourism Advisory Committee bhobson@cyclingvictoria.com

Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition
(250)-480-5155   gvcc@gvcc.bc.ca
1275 Oscar Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8V 2X6

South Island Mountain Bike Society
(250)-477-2455   info@simbs.com #215-2680 Quadra Street, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8T 4E4

Bike Problems/ Bike Shops:

Q     Where can I get my bike fixed?
A      See list of bike shops.

Q     Is there anywhere to rent a mountain bike?
A  Yes there are several places in town. Try Sports Rent (250-385-7368); Cycle Victoria Rentals (250-380-2453/ 385-2453)

Q     Is there anywhere to rent a road bike?
A  See above information.

Q     Where can I go mountain biking?
A      Hartland Park. This is accessible only by vehicle, and is in Central Saanich.

Details of Cycling in Victoria:

Q     How hilly is Victoria?
A      Topographical maps are available from Crown Publications. While Victoria is hilly, none of the hills are over 350 meters (Mt Douglas), and most of these are in parklands. The summit on Malahat via the Trans Canada Hwy is 395?? meters but this can be avoided by taking the Brentwood Bay Ferry to Mill Bay.

Q     How accessible is water en route?
A      There are ample grocery stores, restaurants and pubs in the urban areas. When cycling in the rural areas, one needs to take ample water with them.

Q    Is cycling allowed on trails in the parks?
A      That depends on the park. Some parks allow no cycling, while other parks allow cycling only on trails that are 3+ meters wide. For Technical Mountain biking there is Hartland Park where all trails are for mountain biking.

Q     Are there any local hazards or environmental concerns that one should be aware of?
A      It is not recommended that people travel on isolated trails or logging roads alone due to cougars. Active logging roads are not recommended for cycling.

Q     Are there any guidebooks to cycling in Victoria?
A      Yes. Touring the Islands by Peter Powers and Renee Travis. Includes the San Juan, Gulf, and Vancouver Islands. Island Cycling by David Payne. 

Getting Here | Gallery | Tours and Maps | Rent-Sales and Service | Where to Stay | Where to Eat | Weather Feature Story | Cycling Victoria | Membership & Advertising | Other Activities | FAQ's & Tips | Events | Cycling Organizations | Contact Us | Home
Membership & Advertising CONTACT 1-250-592-4753 or by E-Mail
Contact Us | ©2007 Cycle Tourism Solutions | Site by Viewmont